I’ll be honest: there’s nothing about pumping that excites me.
It takes time and effort to clean the part
It might mess up with my supply
(Forceful letdown and oversupply)
At least that’s what I experienced before.
I wouldn’t consider going through the perils again however, my little Axis was left in the NICU for 7 days. I wouldn’t want him to feed on formula although that’s meant to happen since we wont be together 24/7.
There's nothing I can do about it I know, but it would give me at least a sense of relief to know he still gets breastmilk even if majority of his feedings are formula milk.
How in the world can I possibly produce at least 240 ml (4 feedings) for Axis? Aha.
Luckily, I compared units from different brands long ago during Atlas’ time. Funny how even after all these years, the two brands competing at the top spot stayed the same.
Back then, I opted for Best Breast Pump letter A aka SPECTRA because of the cheaper price, impressive features, and promising reviews. Although this specific unit did a good job,
It was for me, a bit over the top.
extra suction power DOES NOT MEAN extra points for effectiveness.
Other considerations which I’m not completely satisfied with are size, weight, portability, accessories, and flange size
So this time I decided to try out the other contender, Medela Freestyle. What a blessing it was for me that a friend who borrowed my SPECTRA wasn’t able to return it to me.
What I love about the medela freestyle are
SIZE: innovative pump that fits in the palm of your hand.
2. SPEED and VACUUM adjustable to let you find the most comfortable setting for you.
3. SUCTION Highest suction strength at level 9 and still feels comfortable. Pumping process imitates a child’s sucking which works in a way that is more effective while also being gentler.
I go as easy as level 7 for 15 mins and still get an average of 40ml per breast.
4. EASY INTERACTION with digital display, memory, timer and backlight.
5. 2-PHASE EXPRESSION TECHNOLOGY pumping process - replicates baby’s natural sucking behaviour to draw milk out of the breast efficiently and to let you express more milk more quickly.
No need to extend the pumping session. The 15 min pumping with Medela is that efficient.
6. ONE TOUCH LET-DOWN BUTTON simplifies your pump session. The pump starts in let-down mode, and automatically switches to expression mode after two minutes.
7. HIGH QUALITY ACCESSORIES made for this pump. Medela cooler bag + contoured ice pack + 4 Medela breast milk storage bottles, personal fit breast shields,
8. BREAST FLANGE SIZES the unit comes with the standard size 24 mm. Other flange sizes are available separately: 21 mm, 30 mm, 36mm
9. CONVENIENCE of an all-in-one mobile and portable solution with everything you need for on-the-go pumping.
10. LIGHTWEIGHT MOTOR provides a mobile pumping experience to keep up with your busy lifestyle.
11. RECHARGEABLE BATTERY allows you to pump almost anywhere and can last for up to 3 hours.
12. CUSTOMER SERVICE the Parenting emporium makes sure we know the basics before operating the pump so they personally do a demo to teach first time users the how-tos before the actual pumping session begins.
With all these thoughtful features it’s easy to tell why Medela Freestyle is kind of the gold-standard for breast pumps. It provides true mobility, freedom and flexibility but on top of that, Medela’s primary focus is to help moms successfully breastfeed their babies for as long as they choose.
All the more reason Medela makes pumping a pleasurable experience even for moms who don't like to go through the hardwork of pumping.